Whole Roasted Chicken
You and your family will swoon over our Whole Roasted Bell & Evans Chicken with Lemon & Thyme. The secret is incorporating aromatics inside the bird and creamy butter under the skin. While you’re at it, make two! One for dinner tonight and more for tomorrow’s lunch…
- 1 4-5 pound Bell & Evans Whole Chicken, giblets removed
- 4 T Unsalted butter, softened
- 4 T Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 Lemon, cut in half, plus an additional lemon for serving
- 1 Bunch fresh thyme, plus 1T chopped & reserved for serving
- ½ Cup granulated sugar
- ½ Cup kosher salt
- 3 Qt. Cold water
- Combine sugar, salt and cold water. Mix ingredients to dissolve.
- Add Chicken to brine. Cover and refrigerate 6-8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Pat dry chicken very well with paper towels.
- Gently rub softened butter under the skin.
- Rub exterior of chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the bunch of thyme and lemon halves.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- Place wire rack in a roasting pan and position the whole chicken on top of the rack. Roast, uncovered, for approximately 1 hour until skin in golden brown and chicken is thoroughly cooked to an internal temperature of 170°F as measured by a meat thermometer. Save pan juices.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Top chicken with chopped thyme & freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Once carved, drizzle pan juices over chicken.
- For a special presentation, serve with a grilled lemon half and sprigs of fresh thyme.