Turkey Brine Recipe
Prep Time: inutes
Cook Time: inutes
Total Time: inutes
- 2/3 c kosher salt
- 2/3 c brown sugar
- 6 slices fresh ginger
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 tsp crushed black peppercorns
- 2 tsp crushed allspice berries
- 8 c unsweetened apple cider
- 1 fresh or thawed turkey (10-25 lbs)
- 2 oranges, quartered
- 2 turkey size oven cooking bags
- In a 3-4 quart saucepan, combine cider with salt, sugar, ginger, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns, and allspice; stir to dissolve salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 3-4 minutes; remove from heat, add 4 cups of ice water and set aside to cool.
- Line a heavy roasting pan with turkey-sized oven cooking bags (double-layered).
- Remove the turkey from its wrapping, remove neck and giblets (store separately), and rinse and prepare bird.
- Stuff cavity with orange quarters.
- Make a collar of the top of cooking bags (helps keep bags open), and slip bird inside, stand it upright (legs pointing up), and unfold the top of the bag.
- Pour the brine over the bird, and add an additional 2 cups of water.
- Draw up the first inner bag, squeezing out as much air as possible, and secure with a twist-tie; do the same for the outer bag.
- Place the turkey, breast side down, in the roasting pan and refrigerate for 12-24 hours, turning 3-4 times while brining.
- Just prior to roasting, remove the turkey from the brine; discard the bags, brine, and all cured herbs, spices, and oranges remaining in the bird.
- Let turkey rest in roasting pan for 20 minutes to an hour to allow some weeping of fluids before preparing for roasting.