Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Pot Pie
Prep Time: inutes
Cook Time: inutes
Total Time: inutes
Chicken Pot Pie is a staple in the Pennsylvania Dutch community. Brothy and full of flavor, the homemade noodles add texture and body to this stew. Once you try it, you’ll never want gravy-style crusted pot pie again!
- 1 Cup & 1 T All-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Cup Whole Milk
- 1 T Unsalted butter, melted
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Bell & Evans Bone-in Split Chicken Breasts
- 8 Cups Chicken broth
- 4 Medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled & large diced
- 3 Medium Carrots, peeled & large diced
- 2 Large Stalks Celery, diced
- 1 Medium Sweet Onion, peeled & cut into quarters
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Pinch, ground turmeric
- Blend egg with milk and melted butter.
- Add liquids to flour and salt.
- Mix until combined being careful not to overmix.
- Using extra flour, generously sprinkle dough on both sides to avoid sticking. Roll noodle dough to about 1/8” thickness. Cut into pieces/squares approximately sized 2” by 2”. No need to be perfect.
- Lay pieces onto flour dusted wax or parchment paper. Cover and set aside until needed.
- NOTE: Feel free to double the noodle recipe if you prefer extra. In the event you do, increase quantity of broth to 10 cups.
- In a large stock pot add chicken broth, chicken and a pinch of turmeric.
- Bring to a slow simmer. Cover and cook for approximately 30-40 minutes until chicken is thoroughly cooked to an internal of 170°F as measured by a meat thermometer. Remove chicken from broth and allow to cool. Once cooled, remove skin and pull meat from the bone into large pieces.
- To the stock pot add potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Cook for 10 minutes uncovered at a low simmer.
- Bring to a boil and slowly add noodles piece by piece. NOTE: A rapid boil is key when adding noodles, otherwise they tend to stick to one another. Once all noodles have been added, reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook for approximately 20 minutes until vegetables & noodles are tender.
- Uncover, add chicken and continue to cook on a low simmer for another 20 minutes. NOTE: This recipe gets better with time
- Season with salt & pepper, to taste. Add parsley as garnish.