Italian Chicken Bolognese Lasagna
This version of the classic one-pan Italian crowd-pleaser combines Bell & Evans new Ground Chicken Leg Meat, a hearty sauce, vibrant spinach, and rich, creamy cheese blend for flavor that feels as if it’s been perfected over generations.
- 2 T Olive oil
- 1 lb Bell & Evans Ground Chicken Leg
- 2 Medium onions, finely diced
- 2 Medium carrots, finely diced
- 1 Stalk celery, finely diced
- 3 Large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 Cup White wine
- 1 Cup Whole milk
- 2 28-oz cans Crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 Cup Chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp Ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Three Cheese Filling
- 1 10-oz pkg Frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry, and chopped
- 1 15-oz container Fresh ricotta
- 2 Cups (packed) Freshly shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 Cup Freshly shredded Parmesan
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1-lb pkg Lasagna noodles, prepared according to package instructions
- Additional shredded mozzarella and Parmesan for topping
Make the Bolognese
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground chicken and cook, using a wooden spoon to break the meat into pieces as it browns, about 8 minutes. Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender and translucent, about 5 more minutes.
- Add wine and bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan, about 2 minutes. Add milk; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is almost completely evaporated, 8–10 minutes
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, broth, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens and flavors meld, about 1-1 ½ hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove from heat
Make the Three Cheese Filling
- In a large bowl, whisk together spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, eggs, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F. Oil a 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish.
- Spoon a thin layer of bolognese sauce over bottom of baking dish. Cover with 4 noodles, overlapping slightly. Drop 1/2 of cheese mixture over by tablespoonfuls; spread out. Spread with 1/3 of remaining sauce. Repeat layering with 4 noodles, remaining cheese mixture, and 1/3 of remaining sauce. Top with final layer of noodles and thin layer of sauce. Sprinkle liberally with shredded mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Oil one side of a piece of foil large enough to cover baking dish and place over assembled lasagna, oiled side down, to prevent sticking. Tightly cover dish.
- Bake lasagna until hot and bubbly, about 50 minutes; uncover and continue baking until top begins to brown, about 10-15 minutes longer. Let lasagna stand 15 minutes before serving. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm, covered with foil, in 350°F oven about 45 minutes.)