Grilled Mojo Chicken
Mojo is a traditional Cuban sauce that combines the zesty punch of citrus juice with olive oil, cilantro and spices. Here, it’s used as a marinade to lend tenderness and loads of flavor to a Bell & Evans Half Chicken, which pairs perfectly with rice and beans for a hearty, affordable meal.
- 1 Bell & Evans Half Chicken
- 1/2 cup Olive oil, plus more for brushing grates
- 1/2 cup Orange juice
- 2 Lemons, juiced
- 3 Limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup Chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 8 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 (15-oz) can Black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups Cooked long-grain white rice, kept warm
- Place the chicken in a resealable bag. Add the oil, orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Massage the mixture into the chicken to cover completely. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes, or refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Brush excess marinade off the chicken. Heat the grill or grill pan to medium heat, brush the grates with oil. Grill the chicken until dark golden-brown and internal temperature reaches 165°F, about 15-20 minutes per side. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the beans in a small saucepan over low heat until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish the chicken with cilantro. Serve with black beans and rice.
- TIP: Chicken can be cooked in an air-fryer. In step 3, spray the inside of the air-fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Place the chicken, breast-side-down, in the air-fryer basket. Cook at 360°F until light golden-brown, about 10-15 minutes. Flip the chicken over and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.