Coq au Vin
Prep Time: inutes
Cook Time: inutes
Total Time: inutes
Not all French food is fussy! In fact, French cuisine is responsible for some incredibly comforting, rustic dishes, layered with savory flavors. One such dish is coq a vin, a farmhouse-style chicken braise, with a gorgeous, rich sauce made from red wine, bacon, vegetables and herbs. As with any simple preparation, quality protein is essential; try Bell & Evans Whole Organic Chicken for results that are magnifique.
- 1 Bell & Evans Whole Organic Chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 TB Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp Black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 oz. Thick-cut bacon or Pancetta, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large Carrots, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small Yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 TB All-purpose flour
- 3 cups Dry red wine, preferably from Burgundy
- 3 sprigs Fresh thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 TB Unsalted butter
- 8 oz. Cremini mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 8 oz. Peeled pearl onions, fresh or frozen
- 2 TB Chopped fresh parsley
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large wide Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Set aside for garnish.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Working in batches, sear chicken pieces on both sides until golden-brown, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Add carrots and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden-brown, about 5-8 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add flour, and cook, stirring frequently, until no lumps remain, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in wine. Return chicken to Dutch oven. Add thyme and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low heat until chicken is fork tender and sauce has thickened, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden-brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add pearl onions, and cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish chicken with reserved bacon, mushroom mixture and parsley. Serve and enjoy.