Many of you have asked questions about what we do at Bell & Evans to protect our birds from Avian Influenza. So, we would like to take this opportunity to review with you our bio-security policies and procedures. At Bell & Evans, we pride ourselves on high bio-security practices at all times, not only in the event of an outbreak.
Some of our standard operating procedures include:
- Mandatory disinfection of all tractors, trailers and on farm equipment between each farm.
- All visitors to the farms are required to wear disposable protective clothing.
- All equipment is cleaned and sanitized at the processing facility prior to returning to service.
- All houses are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected between each flock.
- All houses remain empty for two weeks between flocks to break the virus cycle.
- All new flocks are started on fresh new dry wood shavings.
- Our reduced stress environment and superior diet bolster the birds’ immune system.
- Blood samples are drawn and all flocks are screened for the presence of Avian Influenza. This is a voluntary program and has been our practice for over 20 years.