1. Preheat the oven to 350° F, remove giblets (if any).
2. Rinse and pat dry.
3. Place the bird, breast side up, on a rack in the pan.
4. Add your favorite stuffing, if desired. Otherwise fill cavity with sliced lemons or other aromatics such as garlic, fresh thyme and rosemary.
5. Rub breast with butter, salt, pepper and herbs.
6. Tent with aluminum foil.
7. Roast chicken for 20 minutes per pound.
The chicken is done when the legs move freely, the juices run clear and the internal temperature at the leg joint reaches 175°F as measured with a meat thermometer.